Friday, March 5, 2010

Chicken Salad



I love chicken salad sandwiches. My favorite chicken salad is from Phil's Deli in Charlotte. In my quest to duplicate that chicken salad, I found this recipe in one of my Southern Living Cookbooks. It is very standard, no frills, but tasty.
Chicken Salad
4 cups shredded cooked chicken - i shred mine in the food processor
1 to 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
3 TBSP sweet pickle relish
1 1/2 TBSP dried minced onion - adjust this to your taste... don't add too much at first
3/4 cup mayonaise - I use Dukes
1 TBSP lemon juice - fresh
1/2 tsp salt
Combine first 4 ingredients in large bowl. Combine mayo, lemon juice and salt, stirring until blended; add to chicken mixture, and toss well. Cover and chill. Serve on lettuce leaves, in tomato cups, ritz crackers, or on sandwiches.
Source: The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook

1 comment:

  1. Good to know!! I love chicken salad sandwiches, too, but have never gotten one at Phil's deli. I will try it next time I go and this recipe, too.

    ReplyDelete